The U.S. Small Business Administration’s 8(a) Business Development Program was designed to help small disadvantaged businesses compete in the marketplace. In addition, there are special eligibility requirements and additional benefits within the 8(a) BD Program for companies owned by a Tribe, Alaskan Native Corporation (ANC), and Native Hawaiian Organization (NHO).
• This is achieved by providing business assistance to firms that are owned and controlled by a minimum of 51% by socially and economically disadvantaged individuals.
• The 8(a) Program is an essential instrument for helping socially and economically disadvantaged businesses gain access to the economic mainstream of American society. This program has helped thousands of aspiring businesspersons to gain a foothold in government contracting.
• This Program is divided into two phases over nine years: a four-year developmental stage and a five-year transition stage.
• Program Participants can receive sole-source contracts, up to a maximum of $4 million for goods and services and $7.0 million for manufacturing. While SBA will help 8(a) firms build their competitive and institutional know-how, they also encourage businesses to participate in competitive acquisitions.
• 8(a) firms are also able to form joint ventures and team to bid on contracts. This enhances the capability of 8(a) firms to perform larger prime contracts.
• 8(a) firms also can participate in the Mentor-Protégé Program which allows Participants to increase their knowledge and experience from a more experienced business.
To be eligible for the program, a prospective applicant must meet the following requirements:
We offer a full suite of services to companies interested in the 8(a) BD Program and to existing 8(a) Participants, including Tribally-Owned, ANC-owned and NHO-owned companies. For companies that meet the eligibility requirements and would like to apply to the 8(a) BD Program, we can help you through the application and certification process. This process can be daunting to those that have never been through it. For companies that have already been accepted to the program as Participants, we can assist you with your annual reporting requirements and ongoing compliance. For companies that are nearing the end of their 8(a)-program term or who are looking to the future, we can assist with strategic and structural planning.
You will be required to provide some basic preliminary information in order to ensure that our call with you is as productive as possible.
Schedule a complimentary initial 8(a) telephone consultation/interview with via email.
During our initial 8(a) telephone consultation, we will conduct a detailed interview to determine the company’s eligibility for the 8(a) BD Program.
We will then provide you with a detailed proposal outlining
the scope of our services and our fees.